Last Updated: July 28, 2023
Notice at Collection
You may have a right to receive notice of Zumper’s privacy practices at the time of collection that may include being notified about the categories of Personal Information to be collected, the purposes for which such information is collected or used, whether such information is “sold” or “shared” and how to opt-out of such uses, and how long such information is retained. Please continue to read or use the links provided above to quickly jump to each respective section.
1. Scope and Updates
- identifies, relates to, or describes a particular consumer or household; or
- is reasonably capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked to a particular consumer or household.
Our definition of Personal Information also includes any other information as defined by applicable privacy laws analogous to Personal Information and that may depend on your where you live or what laws may be applicable to you.
The term “Landlord” means any user who is a landlord, landlord representative, broker, property manager, or and sub-lessor who lists a property for rent on the Website.
The term “Tenant” means a user who searches, applies, contacts, or otherwise reviews properties for rent on the Website.
2. How We Collect, Use, and Share Information
To provide you with Zumper’s Services, we must collect and process your information, including your Personal Information. The types of information we collect, use, and disclose depends on how you want to use Zumper. Some of this information is collected directly by us through the Services, while other information is obtained by us indirectly from third parties.
Collection of Personal Information Overview
If you are a Tenant, you may provide us or our Service Providers (such as credit reporting agencies who provide us consumer reports) with Personal Information such as: identifiers; employment, criminal, financial, and rental histories; criminal histories (except where such collection is prohibited by law); financial information (including your credit score through our consumer-reporting providers); and your rental preferences. You may also provide us with any information you choose to submit to Landlords via our messaging service. We primarily use this information to: connect you to Landlords that you may be interested in renting from; to verify your background information for Landlords; to process your rental applications; and to improve and customize Website functionality.
We share some of the information that you provide with Landlords, Service Providers (as defined below), and other third parties when you express interest in their properties or services. We may also share certain Personal Information to marketing partners and advertisers, as specified below, with your consent or where we are legally authorized to do so.
If you are a Landlord, you may provide us or our Service Providers with Personal Information such as:name, email, and other identifiers; bank account information; and information about your business and your properties. We primarily use this information to connect you to Tenants who may be interested in renting from you; to verify information about your properties; to process rental applications; and to improve and customize Website functionality. We share some information that you provide with Tenants, Service Providers, and third party syndicators. We may also sell certain Personal Information to marketing partners and advertisers, as specified below. As a Landlord, consistent with your agreement to our Terms and Conditions and/or Terms of Service, information we may provide to you regarding a Tenant may only be used for the purpose of renting to the Tenant.
We may also obtain Personal Information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations, with your consent or where permitted by law. For example, if you access our Services through a third-party application, such as an app store, a third-party login service, or a social networking site, we may collect Personal Information about you from that third-party application that you have made available via your privacy settings.
For other situations where we may collect your Personal Information, please see the Zumper Collection, Use, and Sharing of Personal Information Chart below.
Uses and Sharing of Personal Information
- Service Providers. We disclose your Personal Information to our third-party service providers and vendors that assist us with the provision of our Services. This includes service providers and vendors that provide us with summarized consumer reports (for example, credit and criminal background reports), IT support, hosting, payment processing, customer service, and related services.
- Business Partners. We may disclose your Personal Information to business partners to provide you with a product or service you have requested. We may also share your Personal Information with business partners with whom we jointly offer products or services.
- Affiliates. We may share your Personal Information with our company affiliates, who under some laws may be considered as Service Providers.
- Other Users or Third Parties You Share or Interact With. Our Services may allow you to share Personal Information or interact with other users, such as Tenants sharing information with Landlords.
- Advertising / Marketing Partners. We may share your Personal Information with third-party advertising / marketing partners. These third-party advertising / marketing partners may set Technologies and other tracking tools on our Services to collect information regarding your activities and your device (for example, your IP address, cookie identifiers, page(s) visited, location, time of day). These advertising / marketing partners may use this information (and similar information collected from other services) for purposes of delivering personalized advertisements to you when you visit digital properties within their networks. This practice is commonly referred to as “interest-based advertising”, “targeted advertising,” “personalized advertising, or “cross-context behavioral advertising.”
|WHAT WE COLLECT||WHO WE GET IT FROM||WHY WE COLLECT IT||WHO WE DISCLOSE IT TO|
|Identifiers, including but not limited to:||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Background Information*, including but not limited to:||We collect some of this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Financial Information, including but not limited to:||We collect some of this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Geolocation Data, including but not limited to:||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Protected Classifications, including but not limited to:||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Commercial Information from Renters, including but not limited to:||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Internet or other electronic network activity information, including but not limited to:||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Sensory information, including but not limited to: photos and videos||We collect this information directly from you when you:||We use this information to:|
|Inferences that Zumper draws based on your Personal Information that allows us to create a consumer profile about you||We create this information based on the information that we collect, as described in this chart||We use this information to:|
Disclosure Regarding Sensitive Personal Information.
- To perform the Services reasonably expected by an average consumer who requests such Services.
- To prevent, detect, and investigate security incidents that compromise the availability, authenticity, integrity, and or confidentiality of stored or transmitted Personal Information.
- To resist malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal actions directed at Zumper and to prosecute those responsible for those actions.
- To ensure the physical safety of natural persons.
- For short-term, transient use.
- To verify or maintain the quality or safety of a product, service, or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by Zumper, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured by, manufactured for, or controlled by Zumper.
- For purposes that do not infer characteristics about individuals.
Other Reasons We May Use or Share Your Personal Information
- Administrative PurposesWe may use the Personal Information collected above in the chart to:
- Pursue our legitimate interests such as direct marketing, research and development (including marketing research), network and information security, and fraud prevention; to detect security incidents;
- Protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Improve, upgrade, or enhance our Services;
- Develop new products and services;
- Ensure internal quality control and safety;
- Debug to identify and repair errors with our Services;
- Audit relating to interactions, transactions, and other compliance activities;
- Enforce our agreements and policies; and
- Carry out activities that are required to comply with our legal obligations.
- With your Consent.
Carry out activities that are required to comply with our legal obligations.
- To Protect Us or Others
We may access, preserve, and disclose any information we store associated with you to external parties if we, in good faith, believe doing so is required or appropriate to: comply with law enforcement or national security requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; protect your, our, or others’ rights, property, or safety; enforce our policies or contracts; collect amounts owed to us; or assist with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal or fraudulent activity.
- In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, purchase or sale of assets, or transition of service to another provider, your information may be sold or transferred as part of such a transaction, as permitted by law and/or contract.
- When You Share with Third Parties:
- To Carry Out AnalyticsWe may use Technologies and other third-party tools to process analytics information on our Services. These Technologies allow us to better understand how our digital Services are used and to continually improve and personalize our Services. Some of our analytics partners include:
- To Create Aggregated or De-identified Data:
To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may create aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably identify, relate to, describe, be capable of being associated with, or be linked, directly or indirectly, to a particular user and sell or share that information because it is no longer Personal Information. If we create or receive de-identified information, we will not attempt to reidentify such information, unless permitted by, or required to comply with, applicable laws.
3. What Are My Privacy Choices and Rights Regarding My Personal Information?
Your Privacy Choices
The privacy choices you may have about your Personal Information are determined by applicable law and are described below.
Mobile Devices. We may send you push notifications through our mobile application. You may opt out from receiving these push notifications by changing the settings on your mobile device. With your consent, we may also collect precise location-based information via our mobile application. You may opt out of this collection by changing the settings on your mobile device.
“Do Not Track.” Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that we do not respond to or honor DNT signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt out of receiving targeted ads from data partners and other advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn more about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative, the Digital Advertising Alliance, the European Digital Advertising Alliance, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
Please note you must separately opt out in each browser and on each device.
Summary of User Rights
Users may have the right under applicable law to:
- Confirm Whether We Are Processing Your Personal Information (the right to know);
- Request Access to and Portability of Your Personal Information, including: (i) obtaining access to or a copy of your Personal Information; and (ii) receiving an electronic copy of Personal Information that you have provided to us, or asking us to send that information to another company in a structured, commonly used, and machine readable format (also known as the “right of data portability”);
- Request Correction of your Personal Information controlled by Zumper where it is inaccurate or incomplete. In some cases, we may provide self-service tools that enable you to update your Personal Information. Please note that we cannot correct personal information controlled by our third-party partners such as TransUnion;
- Request Deletion of your Personal Information;
- Request to Opt-Out of Certain Processing Activities including, as applicable, if we process your Personal Information for “targeted advertising” (as “targeted advertising” is defined by applicable privacy laws), if we “sell” your Personal Information (as “sell” is defined by applicable privacy laws), or if we engage in “profiling” in furtherance of certain “decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects” concerning you (as such terms are defined by applicable privacy laws);
- Withdraw your consent to the processing of your Personal Information; and
- Appeal our Decision to decline to process your request.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please complete the webform at https://www.zumper.com/privacy/request.
Verification. To protect your privacy, we will take steps to reasonably verify your identity before fulfilling submitted requests. These steps may involve asking you to provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative. Examples of our verification process may include asking you to provide the email address or other information we already have associated with you, or opening a link sent to the contact information you provided and following the instructions on the website you are taken to.
No Discrimination. We will process such requests in accordance with applicable laws. We will not discriminate against users for exercising their rights under applicable law.
Appeal rights. If applicable laws grant you an appeal right and you would like to appeal our decision with respect to your request, you may do so by informing us of this and providing us with information supporting your appeal.
“Request to Opt-In” Rights. Users who have opted out of the sale of their Personal Information may opt back into the sale of their Personal Information by completing the form provided at https://www.zumper.com/privacy/request.
Authorized Agents. Only users, or, if required by applicable privacy laws, someone legally authorized to act on your behalf (“Authorized Agent”), may submit requests related to your Personal Information. Unless the Authorized Agent provides Zumper with a written authorization signed by you and your designated Authorized Agent (for example, a power of attorney executed by the user), Zumper may require the user to verify their identity with Zumper and/or to provide Zumper with written confirmation of the Authorized Agent’s authority to make the request.
4. Retention of Personal Information
To determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information, we may consider applicable legal requirements, the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Information, certain risk factors, the purposes for which we process your Personal Information, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means.
5. Personal Information of Children
Zumper’s Services are not designed to be used by persons under 18 years of age. If you are under the age of 18, do not use our Services.
If you are a parent or guardian and believe your child has uploaded Personal Information to our Website without your consent, and you wish to review information collected from your child, or have that information modified or deleted, please contact us at email@example.com.
If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 18 in violation of applicable law, we will delete that information unless we have a legal obligation to keep it.
Zumper does not knowingly collect, maintain, or sell the Personal Information of any users under 18 and does not have actual knowledge of any “sharing” of Personal Information of minors under 18 years of age for “cross-context behavioral advertising” as defined under California law.
6. Website Visitors from outside the United States
If you have questions about where Zumper processes your Personal Information, please contact us as set out in the “Contact Information” section below.
7. Supplemental Notice for Nevada Residents
If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain Personal Information to third parties who intend to license or sell that Personal Information. Please note that we do not currently sell your personal information as sales are defined in Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A.If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Supplemental Notice for Canada
This Supplemental Notice for Canada only applies to our processing of Personal Information that is subject to the applicable data protection laws of Canada.
We use reasonable physical, organizational, and technological security measures to protect the Personal Information in our control from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. However, please be aware that no security measures can provide absolute security and therefore we cannot guarantee that your Personal Information will not be accessed, disclosed, or used without authorization. If you would like to submit a request to access or correct your Personal Information that you have previously provided to us or withdraw your consent to our processing your Personal Information, you can contact us using the details listed in the “Contact Information” section below.
9. Third-Party Websites/Applications/Services
The Services may contain links to other websites/applications and other websites/applications may reference or link to our Services or the Services may allow you to interact with third-party Services, such as LinkedIn, but not limited to, Transunion, VRBO and Booking.com. These third-party services are not controlled by us. Please read the privacy policies of each website and application before interacting with them. We do not endorse, screen, or approve, and are not responsible for the third party’s actions or omissions, including but not limited to their privacy practices, content of such other websites or applications, and errors or bugs in their software. Providing Personal Information to third-party websites or applications is at your own risk.
11. Contact Information
To exercise your rights, you may submit a request through our webform at https://www.zumper.com/privacy/request If you are unable to find what you need at the website, please contact us as set out below.
Attn: Privacy Officer
555 Montgomery Street, 13th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111